Tuesday, 24 May 2011

Our Past -- An Illusion

We often think of something that happened in the past and still carry some regrets about it. Perhaps it's a botched relationship, a business we failed to start or even an accident that we caused. We also often think back something pleasant that we experienced such as falling in love, having a wonderful vacation or getting a promotion. Be it a positive or a negative experience, when we get in touch with the event, we are actually time-travelling within our mind, searching through our bank of memories.

I used to be remorseful about something I have said or done, regretting something I feel or should have done. But I have learned with time and experiences that living with regrets and guilt will get me nowhere in the future. I have decided that the past is merely an illusion because my mind is only able to selectively remember. The longer something remains in my mind, the more it changes and the less it reflects what may actually occurred. My memories tend to change over time and therefore may not accurately reflect my original perception. Thus, I want to accept that everything that ultimately did occur was a necessary part of my soul's growth. Whenever I feel guilty of having hurt or disappoint someone in the past, I want to acknowledge my commitment to never repeat the behaviour again. It is utmost important to declare that I have actually learned from my mistakes.

From now on I want to ensure all moments, whether good or bad from my past to remain in the past. Suffice for me to experience them fully then, after that drop it and move on to the next moment, uninfluenced by any of the previous one. Otherwise, I will waste a great deal of my time in the "illusionary" world of the past, either feeling guilty, regretful, angry or reminiscing the good old days.

I have come to a realisation that my past has an impact on my present when I continue my thoughts and feelings on something that no longer exists. They are all just in my mind. Whatever that have happened are finished now.

So be it...

2 comments:

  1. "The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment earnestly and wisely." -- Buddha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't agree more with Buddha

    ReplyDelete