Sunday, 1 May 2011

Family Ties


Memories of our family and childhood are what shape our personality and who we are. Whether we like it or not, our personality is formed by our parents, brothers, sisters, and the environment that we grew up in. For some, interacting with their family feels like more bother than it is worth. They cut off ties with their families and make up pseudo families made up of chosen friends. This is all right as long as we realize that our past continues to affect who we are. We can only grow as people when we choose to confront our past. Only then can we move forward in our lives.

Of late, recollections of my childhood often flood my days. Whenever I looked out the window of my Kampung home, I could see myself, my siblings, cousins and childhood friends playing rounders, galah panjang, konda-kondi and congkak to name a few. I am so connected to those memories resulting in very dearly missing family members and friends who have passed on. If I were given another chance to live my childhood life, I would not want it any different than what I had once. There were grievences and setbacks but those were part of which contributed to who I have become today.

Going back very often to my Kampung has also taught me to always choose modesty as a way of life. However much I think I have achieved, I can never forget my root... . I can never understand how many people I have met have simply chosen to disregard their Kampungs and sometimes their own parents too, the reason being too busy with work. Yet, they are never too busy attending gatherings or parties thrown by friends.

Life is indeed a journey. For some it's brief while for others, it may be long. But what is more important is that along the way, we must never forget to stop and ponder on the point where we began this journey. That way, InsyaAllah, we will never ever forget our origin...our family.



1 comment:

  1. Ya. I also think that we should never forget our origin even though we are surrounded by many type of attraction out there. We are nothing without our origin. However, people today have became more materialistic where the first thing in their mind is to earn a lot of money. As a result, many of them are getting far away from their family and they slowly forget their root.

    ReplyDelete